Saturday, March 31, 2012

Day 17: More homework

Today I will be making my Felt and I will also be doing some homework for my Fashion Trends class I will also do some more drawings for my Portfolio class.

So I got my felt done! It looks so cool I also Knitted with a chiffon fabric and that looks very interesting then the girls got home from going to go seeing Canterbury, the Leeds Castle and the white cliffs of Dover, so we went out to eat some dinner down the street at a place that I think used to be a movie theater. I got a burger and a pint for 4.99 pounds. I came home to get my felt and finish up on a forecasting mood board that I am working on for my Fashion trends class. Here are the pictures of my new textiles and of my mood board!!
When you go to get the supplies for felt
you have to buy wool fibers they are
usually bundled up this is a picture of
them unraveled

After you unravel the fibers you take a
piece of muslin and lay it down and you then
take the fibers and spread them out over the
muslin like shown you have to lay down
multiple layers and interchange the
direction as you go. You can also put little
pieces of fibers in with it to make designs in
the felt.

After you have as many layers as you
want the minimum of I think 2-3. You fold
the muslin over top of the felt piece
and then you bast stitch (which is a
long hand stitch used to just keep
things in place) around your felt piece
then you roll it up and put rubber bands
or in my case hair ties on either end so that
while you are washing it little pieces don't
fall out. After that you put it in the wash
with your other cloths for a normal cycle
including drying.


When it is done drying you take it out and
take out the basting and slowly and
carefully pull back the muslin because
the wool fibers will have attached to
the cotton in the muslin and TA DA! you have felt!
Felt is mostly used in hats and when they make it
on a manufacturing level a few of these steps will
be different.

The finished product
This is a plain weave fabric I made
in class.
This is my mood board for Women's
Evening Wear 2013.
This is my knit made out of chiffon.I got
a rather nice sample of chiffon out of a fabric
shop in Shepperd's bush market and so I tore it
into small pieces like you see in the top of the picture
and I knitted them together to see what it looks like.

This is a close view of my knitted chiffon.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to have pictures of the process when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job. Thanks for all the great information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem there will be plenty more cause the class has just started!

    ReplyDelete