Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 6 NYC: Work and having people learn what I know

Today was interesting day at work. First I got to arrange the samples that the Creative Director and the President of Merchandising brought back from Europe. These samples got arranged by sleeve length dresses verses summer sweaters and heaver sweaters. They are also from a lot of the stores I just recently visited like: Zara’s a company in London that has its garments produced in Spain, New look, and H & M to name a few. When the buyers from companies such as Dillard’s, Wal-Mart, J C Penny’s, Kohl’s, and Macey's come to Fashion Avenue Knits show room they are shown these samples to give the buyers an idea of the designs that this company is going with for the season, but they sit down with the buyers and get a better price for that garment by changing little things for instance they might not put as much detail in the garment or they might use a different material. After that they had me work with an Assistant Designer in Color Matters to make a technical flat for a design they are working on. I had quite a bit of assistance with that since it was my second day with Color Matters. I then had the most stressful part of the day when I had to go run an errand to a trimmings store they said was in between 38th and 39th street on 6th Avenue, so I walked out of the building that the company is located on and I was kind of lost I knew I was on 39th and Broadway but other than that I was so lost! So I guessed. I walked down and saw that the next street was 5th Avenue so then I walked up to 7th Avenue and then had to guess which way from there, so I had to just guess and I ended up guessing. I ended up being right that brought me to the second part of the stressful situation getting what I had gone to go get. They did not have one type of ribbon that they had wanted so I did not know what to do about that and then there was the fact that there was so much to choose from in the store that I was overcome with amazement. When I got back with the ribbon that could get they told me to go back out to the same place and get a different ribbon in a color that would replace the one I did not find. They did not have enough of that ribbon, so I got samples of the ribbon in the color that they wanted that the store had enough of and took it back and let them pick which one and then finally went and got it. After that little fiasco I got to sew the ribbon on samples that the company had made and then I also had to quickly hand sew a cuff on a shirt and buttons to match it so that they could get it approved by the Creative Director and the buyers. That was my day! When I got home I watched some T.V and then went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment